Anzeigen der neuesten Beiträge

50w highgain amp mod

• 123 Antworten
  • 56907 Aufrufe

Offline dukeamps

Re:50w highgain amp mod
« Antwort #105 am: 8.03.2011 16:27 »
Hey ho,

I couldn't get this mod out of my head and that reminded me of an old modded London City DEAxxx I bought at the Musik Produktiv Flohmarkt years ago. For those who don't know it: It is a 100W Marshall clone with a JTM45 preamp. It didn't work properly and I always wanted to fix it. That's my chance :P

Well, I opened it, was shocked of its inner condition and startet ripping out everything that wasn't original. Then I converted the power amp to 1959 and now I have some kind of basis for my own #36 ;D

I'm gonna keep you up-to-date, when I have first results.

Cheers
Kilian

have you any pics of the amp? :)

Offline wholelottanoise

« Antwort #106 am: 8.03.2011 16:57 »
Here you are. This was before I changed anything. Now it has less messy wires, preamp and poweramp like SLP, new pots, new filter caps and a nice 20mm hole for an additional ECC83.

Next to do:
- THAT DAMN GREEN/YELLOW CABLE ::)
- change switches for power and standby

EDIT: There are some components an the back of the board, like PI caps and the second pair of diodes in the power supply. Couldn't make photos of that.
« Letzte Änderung: 8.03.2011 17:00 von wholelottanoise »

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #107 am: 8.03.2011 17:23 »
Here you are. This was before I changed anything. Now it has less messy wires, preamp and poweramp like SLP, new pots, new filter caps and a nice 20mm hole for an additional ECC83.

Next to do:
- THAT DAMN GREEN/YELLOW CABLE ::)
- change switches for power and standby

EDIT: There are some components an the back of the board, like PI caps and the second pair of diodes in the power supply. Couldn't make photos of that.

nice amp that should work good for a #36 amp :)

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #108 am: 8.03.2011 19:31 »
Hi Guys, here is a new clip with more tweaking, :laugh:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10372383

cheers

Nigel

Offline wholelottanoise

« Antwort #109 am: 9.03.2011 07:46 »
Hey Nigel,

though I think your versions 272 and 274 sound closer to AFD, I would prefer the new one. Sounds thicker and less compressed to me. Just great :danke:

Cheers,
Kilian

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #110 am: 9.03.2011 09:53 »
Hey Nigel,

though I think your versions 272 and 274 sound closer to AFD, I would prefer the new one. Sounds thicker and less compressed to me. Just great :danke:

Cheers,
Kilian

yes the 272 & 274 probably sounds more like it would sound after studio & mastering processing, & the new clip is the way you would want your amp for live, big Marshall growl :laugh:

Offline wholelottanoise

« Antwort #111 am: 9.03.2011 17:39 »
Hey guys,

today, I made my first try for #36. After some tries and reading again the last few pages of the SIR-thread at metroamp (most valuable information came from the short discussion between dukeamps and tschrama - thank you).

I used the "save" way of shield trick and a 470p at second anode. So far, no humming, no squeeling, surprise! :o Only with dimed gain pots I get blocking distortion. I might put some grid stoppers in but since I won't dime them usually... ::)

This amp really rocks! I was just able to dial the master to about 1 but even with this low volume it had everything I didn't know i was missing with the #34 ;D It was fat and crunchy and loud (!) - but it didn't sound so much like AFD. Finally, I added a switch for a .1 cap parallel to the 10k at second cathode and now I think I am quite near. For chords and riffing it sounds best for me without the .1, but for solos with the neck humbucker I really like this cap!

Later, I will test the amp in band context. That's gonna be fun... :devil:

Cheers,
Kilian

Stone

• Gast
« Antwort #112 am: 9.03.2011 18:13 »
Hi Kilian

A bypass cap on the last cathode before cathode follower generates a lot of punch and volume. So, adding a bypass cap across the 820 ohms (sometimes 1k) within Marshall will drive the cathode follower harder (and so the PI).

Regards, Stone

Offline wholelottanoise

« Antwort #113 am: 9.03.2011 18:48 »
A bypass cap on the last cathode before cathode follower generates a lot of punch and volume. So, adding a bypass cap across the 820 ohms (sometimes 1k) within Marshall will drive the cathode follower harder (and so the PI).

Hey Stone,

yepp, I'm gonna try that tomorrow. But I don't think I will need any more punch ;D

Cheers,
Kilian

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #114 am: 9.03.2011 18:55 »
Hey guys,

today, I made my first try for #36. After some tries and reading again the last few pages of the SIR-thread at metroamp (most valuable information came from the short discussion between dukeamps and tschrama - thank you).

I used the "save" way of shield trick and a 470p at second anode. So far, no humming, no squeeling, surprise! :o Only with dimed gain pots I get blocking distortion. I might put some grid stoppers in but since I won't dime them usually... ::)

This amp really rocks! I was just able to dial the master to about 1 but even with this low volume it had everything I didn't know i was missing with the #34 ;D It was fat and crunchy and loud (!) - but it didn't sound so much like AFD. Finally, I added a switch for a .1 cap parallel to the 10k at second cathode and now I think I am quite near. For chords and riffing it sounds best for me without the .1, but for solos with the neck humbucker I really like this cap!

Later, I will test the amp in band context. That's gonna be fun... :devil:

Cheers,
Kilian

try these settings  g1 7, g2 6,  mv4, t6, m4, b4, p6,
« Letzte Änderung: 9.03.2011 18:57 von dukeamps »

Offline wholelottanoise

« Antwort #115 am: 10.03.2011 07:51 »
Hey ho,

yesterday, I heard the amp in band context for the first time and... well... I think it's already perfect. ;D
Even my band liked it, though usually nobody really cares when I bring something new/different.

But it wouldn't be me if I didn't try to tweak it anymore... ::)

Cheers,
Kilian

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #116 am: 10.03.2011 09:45 »
Hey ho,

yesterday, I heard the amp in band context for the first time and... well... I think it's already perfect. ;D
Even my band liked it, though usually nobody really cares when I bring something new/different.

But it wouldn't be me if I didn't try to tweak it anymore... ::)

Cheers,
Kilian

could you post a clip please :)

Stone

• Gast
« Antwort #117 am: 10.03.2011 09:53 »
Hello

It 's a pain in the ass, as everytime I promise myself to re-start my work on tweaking amps, my workload is increased by my customer :( I hope to have a chance on weekend.

Nigel: I got your info - thanks for that and sorry for delaying a comparison again.

Regards, Stone

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #118 am: 10.03.2011 10:01 »
Hello

It 's a pain in the ass, as everytime I promise myself to re-start my work on tweaking amps, my workload is increased by my customer :( I hope to have a chance on weekend.

Nigel: I got your info - thanks for that and sorry for delaying a comparison again.

Regards, Stone

Ok, looking forward to hearing your clips :) 

Offline wholelottanoise

« Antwort #119 am: 10.03.2011 10:09 »
could you post a clip please :)

I'm gonna try it next week. Or maybe later today at low volume.
« Letzte Änderung: 10.03.2011 10:17 von wholelottanoise »