Retubing a Mesa 50/50 Poweramp

• 1 Antworten
  • 3582 Aufrufe

Offline Dani

• Starter
Retubing a Mesa 50/50 Poweramp
« am: 24.07.2008 19:56 »
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with retubing this amp. I was thinking of JJ6L6 for powertubes, but wat for the 3 ECC83? They're phase inverters I think, but I don't really know their role in the system and what effect a different brand of tube will have on the overall sound of the Mesa 50/50.
I'm using it with an Engl e530 as preamp and I play stuff from brutal Death Metal to Rock to Jazz to whatever... Svetlana powertubes would also be an option for an allround setup or perhaps 5881 Sovteks? Ideas/eperience with this anyone? Thanks in advance...

Offline Dani

• Starter
Re: Retubing a Mesa 50/50 Poweramp
« Antwort #1 am: 29.08.2008 02:48 »
I've checked out the tubes that are currently installed and they're:

Electro Harmonix 12ax7, 1 for the stereo and 2 for the phase inverters
Ruby Tubes 6L6's for the power section. I think they're actually Shuguang, because one is shorter (GE-style, I think only Shuguang makes these).

Does anybody here know how replacing the 12ax7's will affect the sound of the 50\50? Is it as drastic as replacing them in preamps? The EH tubes have a lot of gain, how will a lower gain phase inverter/driver tube tube affect the sound?
I have a Engl e530 preamp and play stuff from brutal metal to jazz. I need clarity, definition yet I also like the sound to be warm, not too harsh.

Anyone experience with this?