Anzeigen der neuesten Beiträge

Less gain in valve jr mods

• 21 Antworten
  • 7085 Aufrufe

Offline larsthestrat

Less gain in valve jr mods
« am: 22.03.2011 08:33 »
Hi,

I did all the mods from the TT -site (valve jr.). I really like the sound of this amp now, but I would like less gain coming from it (more headroom). Are there any mods I can do to achieve this
(different pre-amp tube, changing resistors, etc.).

grt. lars

Offline mc_guitar

• YaBB God
Re:Less gain in valve jr mods
« Antwort #1 am: 22.03.2011 09:12 »
Hello,

The easiest way would be to use a different preamptube. Instead of the normally used 12AX7/ECC83 try a 5751 which would have about 70% of the gain of a 12AX7 or try even a 12AT7 for even less gain but some more compression.

Cheers Micha
Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher...(Albert Einstein)

Offline larsthestrat

« Antwort #2 am: 22.03.2011 14:00 »
hi,

thanks!

would this make the amp less loud or will it decrease the gain. I'm looking for the last thing, decreasing the gain but the amp should give the same amount of (clean volume).
I want to use it on stage, but with less gain....

grt. lars

Offline Caisa

• YaBB God
« Antwort #3 am: 22.03.2011 14:04 »
I would like to recommend you a 12AT7.

The  GE 5751 in V1 of my Valve Junior sounds great but you'll not notice considerably less gain than with a JJ 12AX7.

Bye
Stephan

EDIT:

To further increase the clean headroom you might try a NFB mod, discussed here. Try efficient speaker too!

« Letzte Änderung: 22.03.2011 14:11 von Caisa »
moin moin...

Offline larsthestrat

« Antwort #4 am: 22.03.2011 14:10 »
hi,

and will the amp stay as loud as with the 12ax7?

thanks!

bea

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: 22.03.2011 14:10 »
The loudness of the amp is entirely determined by the last stage, i.e. the EL84 and to some degree on its working parameters (load impedance, screen voltage, anode voltage). If You reduce gain You need a higher input voltage to achieve the maximum power. On this level of argumentation it will not matter how the gain is reduced - by tubes with lower gain, by voltage dividers or by NFB (just to name some examples).

One simple and cheap method to reduce gain might be the removal of *all* cathode capacitances. This will add local NFB to each stage and, as a drawback, increased output resistance of that stage. Unfortunately we do not know what You mean by "all the mods" - some of the proposed mods might be contradicting.

BTW: changing tubes was the first of my modifications. Later on i restored the original tubes.

Beate
« Letzte Änderung: 22.03.2011 14:14 von bea »

Offline larsthestrat

« Antwort #6 am: 22.03.2011 14:18 »
hi,

Thanks!

I did the mods mentioned in the DIY section of Tube Town, so adding a gain stage, tone-stack, new tranny, JJ tubes, etc.

grt lars

Offline Caisa

• YaBB God
« Antwort #7 am: 22.03.2011 14:27 »
Why did you added a gainstage when you aim for extended clean headroom  ???
« Letzte Änderung: 22.03.2011 14:38 von Caisa »
moin moin...

bea

• Gast
« Antwort #8 am: 22.03.2011 14:41 »
So the next thing to do might be to remove the gain stage You added, won't it? And then You might have a lokk into the forum. Some users, among them i, have modded the amp in the direction You like to have. This is documented in almost every detail - simply read the stuff and pick the ideas You like.

Beate

Offline larsthestrat

« Antwort #9 am: 22.03.2011 15:04 »
okay I have a second epiphone valve junior with a bitmo mod (tonepot). I will try to mod this one to these new specs you refer to (and use the hammond tranny from the first one). Do you have the post on when to look for these mods?

I'm not able to find them.....

grt. lars

bea

• Gast
« Antwort #10 am: 22.03.2011 15:20 »
Just a few lines deeper in the thread listing - the GA-5 modding thread:

http://www.tube-town.de/ttforum/index.php/topic,5240.msg134910.html#msg134910 (this refers to te other extrem - a bass amp)

and of course all the pages before.

Beate

Offline larsthestrat

« Antwort #11 am: 22.03.2011 15:37 »
okay, I can read a little bit german, so I can figure this out maybe. Which page do I start reading?? There's a lot to read. I would like to go  for maximum clean sound, but don't want to go less loud.

bea

• Gast
« Antwort #12 am: 22.03.2011 17:00 »
The easiest approach is to adapt my approach, maybe without the tone stack.

Reading: i read everything from page 1. Initially even several times.

Offline larsthestrat

« Antwort #13 am: 22.03.2011 17:06 »
okay thanks!

Offline Dirk

• Dirk M.
  • Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • 2T or not 2T
« Antwort #14 am: 22.03.2011 19:20 »
instead of removing the second tube stage, adding a new switch for bypassing the 2nd tube is also an option and will lead to a 3-Channel micro amp.
Also check the plate resistor Ra1. Replace it with an 68k resistor. Remove or make C4 switchable.

Regards, Dirk
Für Support und Produktanfragen bitte das offizielle Kontaktformular im Shop verwenden. PMs werden nicht beantwortet.