50w highgain amp mod

• 123 Antworten
  • 56932 Aufrufe

Stone

• Gast
Re:50w highgain amp mod
« Antwort #60 am: 11.12.2010 19:16 »
Hi Nigel

No differences to the first recording, except that I connect the Sennheiser mic to mic input of my laptop and so I can lower the level; I am using a TTpro power soak ;) And the PI is driven hard (removed the power scaling potentiometer).

There is still some hiss on top of the sound, which is unfortunately added by the laptop or whatever :(

Regards, Stone

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #61 am: 11.12.2010 19:33 »
Hi stone, have you made any changes to the amp?

Cheers

Nigel

Stone

• Gast
« Antwort #62 am: 11.12.2010 21:32 »
Hi Nigel

Hi stone, have you made any changes to the amp?

Cheers

Nigel

No, not to the circuit - I removed the power scaling pot, that 's all.

Regards, Stone

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #63 am: 12.12.2010 08:34 »
Hi, stone, could you please tell me a bit about your power soak, can you use it also with 100w amps?

cheers

Nigel

Stone

• Gast
« Antwort #64 am: 12.12.2010 11:58 »
Hi Nigel

It is one of Dirks attenuators - most of the information including schems can be found here: http://www.tube-town.net/diy/tt-pos/tt-posx-de.html - I have got the 200 watts version (TT PoS200 Pro). I built it a few months ago for a friend of mine, but he changed the amp and gave it back to me.

At least I find the treble "correction" pretty useful while attenuating signals to a very low level. The overall performance is pretty good, at least in relation to the price of DIY kits of them. Refering to calculations I have done on their resistance they do not react exactly like a speaker, but resistance increases with input frequency which is close to the behaviour of a speaker.

I think Aiken has a more complex model, but which is a power soak / load box and which behaves like a guitar speaker - I tried to build it years ago but was not able to get most of the parts, so I left it.

Overall I would recommend Dirks attenuators before spending around 300 to 400 euros for a THD or Scholz.

Regards, Stone

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #65 am: 12.12.2010 12:05 »
Hi stone, thanks for answering. I was looking at that model, but the only thing is its 8ohm, what do you do with your 16ohm box?

Cheers

Nigel   

Stone

• Gast
« Antwort #66 am: 12.12.2010 12:58 »
Hi Nigel

According to Dirks documentation it is designed for 8 and 16 ohm loads (speakers) - the input impedance is around 8 ohms (for the amp); I measured 7,2 ohms at input.

Regards, Stone

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #67 am: 12.12.2010 14:00 »
Hi stone, thanks for the info.

Cheers

Nigel

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #68 am: 15.12.2010 15:58 »
Hi Guys, found this mod on the net. http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9439/36mod.jpg

What do you think?

Cheers

Nigel

Stone

• Gast
« Antwort #69 am: 16.12.2010 09:51 »
Hi Nigel

I am not sure if this is a #36 layout, it seems to be a mod / variation of the #36 modification - but it is interesting. The first thing I had in mind while seeing this was the layout of the London 4-stage preamp as described in one of the TUT books.

Having a closer look it is basically a "reversed" 220x layout (10k triode at first followed by 2k7 triode): the first triode acts as a tube booster and the cathode follower is rewired to a anode follower with tone stack.

What I am missing is a coupling cap between anode of V2b and 33k slope resistor - on the one hand side it is not really needed because of the voltages of the tone caps usually, on the other hand side it adds a little extra safety.

Regards, Stone

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #70 am: 16.12.2010 10:33 »
Hi stone, thanks for answering. On another forum someone said it was from the Kevin O’Connor’s 4 gain stage Marshall Mod, from the TUT books, & also very similar to the Roccafortes HG100.

I think I will give it a try & see what comes out.

Cheers  :)

Nigel

Stone

• Gast
« Antwort #71 am: 16.12.2010 11:49 »
Hi Nigel

Yes, Kevin O'Connor is the man of London (Power Amps). It is right, basically - with a few changes - it is the Kevin O'Connor 4-stage preamp option mentioned within TUT volume 2 (I think) ...

It should sound a little bit harder than a stock #36 mod, because of the 1k5 resistor at the last cathode - the 10k system in front of the whole preamp acts like a tube booster which will give you more drive / saturation to the tone.

I have tried something similar with my #39 mod and it is pretty good for soloing and rythmn tones - latter ones if you are backing your guitar volume.

Regards, Stone

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #72 am: 16.12.2010 12:48 »
Hi stone, Just tried that mod, its really highgain. Sounds ok just a bit too bassy, I will tweak it a bit & see what happens.

cheers

Nigel 

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #73 am: 16.12.2010 13:48 »
Hi stone, got the bass sorted out, it was a B1M pot that i had use because i didn't any A1M pots, changed that & the amp sounds ok.

Cheers

Nigel

Stone

• Gast
« Antwort #74 am: 16.12.2010 14:10 »
Hi Nigel

Try a second 1M or 500k potentiometer instead of 68k / 680k voltage divider ;-) This will come close to what I have done many times and you are able to adjust the "shape" of distortion and not only the tone.

Regards, Stone