Impressum | Datenschutz | Shop | DIY | TT @ Twitter | TT-Cabs
Anzeigen der neuesten Beiträge

AFD tone cracked

• 8 Antworten
  • 6128 Aufrufe

Offline dukeamps

AFD tone cracked
« am: 12.02.2016 14:44 »
Hi Guys, bit of news for you, Mr Frank Levi gave me the last details to the 36 mod, It happened as so, I sent him my scheme some time ago asking him how close was it to the real 36 mod, he wrote back to me saying it was close enough & he would check his notes & send me the rest of the mod. Well the other day i got my scheme back with the corrected values on it, he had changed 2 parts of the scheme.

I have made some clips with the real 36 mod spec for you to hear, amp is a 76 JMP 100w with all Mullard tubes in it, speaker is the Levi development speaker, settings were all 6 MV at 2,

Without orig,

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13312229

With orig,

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13311525

All credit has to go to Mr Frank Levi for the final details,

As respect for Frank Levi I will not be giving the details of this mod out.

cheers

Offline Laurent

• YaBB God
  • Nichts ist unmöglich
Re: AFD tone cracked
« Antwort #1 am: 12.02.2016 17:03 »
 :topjob:

Offline carlitz

• YaBB God
  • never give up
« Antwort #2 am: 14.02.2016 14:55 »
Hi dukeamps,

as this is a forum for DIYer it would be nice to post the schematics which are behind the sound.

Otherwiese it is just useless.

Thanks for providing the sound samples.

Regards
If you don't know how to fix it, stop breaking it!

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #3 am: 16.02.2016 10:32 »
Here is a new clip from me just noodling, it will give you a general idea how the 36 amp would have sounded in the room, setup was, all 6, MV 4, mic was about 1m from the speaker box, no post eq just some verb & delay,

General noodling clip,

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13318842

Cheers

Offline Athlord

• YaBB God
« Antwort #4 am: 16.02.2016 15:43 »
Hey Dukeamps,

i think the same as Carlitz...

Cheers
Jürgen
Ich danke allen, die nichts zur Sache beizutragen hatten und trotzdem geschwiegen haben!

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #5 am: 16.02.2016 19:15 »
I hear ya guys, but i cant give the details out on this spec sorry, if the moderator finds this against any of the rules of this forum please delete this thread, but all I'm doing is letting you guys hear how the real 36 amp sounded. 

Cheers

Nigel 

Offline DerDomze

• YaBB God
« Antwort #6 am: 17.02.2016 14:00 »
Hi Nigel,

iirc there were some schemtics drawn by and Layouts with notes Like Larry, RYU, staalhoofd, levispecs and dukeampspecs in MetroAmp some years ago, some links might be broken in the meanwhile.

as the discussion is still its clear that you've invested a lot of time in catching that AFD-tone, by getting the right "Levi"Speakers (somewhere it was assumed to be an G12h30 75 hz), NOS Mullard , "666Setting" and even contacting Mr Levi directly.

in Respect to Mr Levi and the other MetroAmp users who helped to lift that secret i can guess that you cannot give away the detailed specs.

I think on this forum there are also 2 threads SIR#36 & SIR#39 Mods which where based on the findings in Metro-Forum.
As these where from 2011 maybe you can give a rough update on new discoveries since then.

BR
Dominik
current Projects:
- "JarOfDirt" SüpersonicBausatz (vor Endverdrahtung)
- JMP 2203 6550 + Depth
- TScreamer, Phase90, Riot, OCD, GreenRinger, SmallClone

Offline darkbluemurder

• YaBB God
« Antwort #7 am: 17.02.2016 16:29 »
I think on this forum there are also 2 threads SIR#36 & SIR#39 Mods which where based on the findings in Metro-Forum.
As these where from 2011 maybe you can give a rough update on new discoveries since then.

I have reported on my #39 project in detail. I must say I found the result did not live up to the massive hype on the internet. While the amp sounded good it wasn't anything special at all and basically a one trick pony, doing various shades of strong crunch really well but no cleans, and meh lead tones. There are more versatile preamp circuits around, even for single channels.

Cheers Stephan
Bauten
Chieftain, HoSo56, Cleartone, Dirty Shirley, CJ 11, Junior Chief, Peggy 40

Conversions
Marshall 1959 SLP RI zu Minimalist HRM, Fender Bassman zu Mark Overdrive Special, Marshall 100W JMP zu Fat BE100, Marshall JTM 45 Reissue zu Dirty Daisy; Guyatone Bassman zu Basstonemaster

Offline dukeamps

« Antwort #8 am: 17.02.2016 16:53 »
Hi Nigel,

iirc there were some schemtics drawn by and Layouts with notes Like Larry, RYU, staalhoofd, levispecs and dukeampspecs in MetroAmp some years ago, some links might be broken in the meanwhile.

as the discussion is still its clear that you've invested a lot of time in catching that AFD-tone, by getting the right "Levi"Speakers (somewhere it was assumed to be an G12h30 75 hz), NOS Mullard , "666Setting" and even contacting Mr Levi directly.

in Respect to Mr Levi and the other MetroAmp users who helped to lift that secret i can guess that you cannot give away the detailed specs.

BR
Dominik

Hi Dominik, hope you are keeping well,

Yes i think most of the links don't work anymore, i didn't have anything to do with that, so i don't know what happened. Could possible be to do with the forum being down for a long time because of a virus.

Nobody knows which speaker was used on the AFD, but i found out which speaker Frank Levi used to develop the 36 mod, it was the Marshall VG12 speaker.

The problem was we where all going with the TC 39 mod, 2k7.68u 10k.1u 10k 820r.68u spec thinking Frank Levi just copied the TC 39 into the 36 amp. I can tell you now the Frank Levi's 36 mod had nothing in common with the TC 39 mod, Frank Levi actually changed the TC 39 amp to his own mod. Turns out TC was getting all the credit for Frank Levi's mod, i think that's why Frank Levi would not give any details on the true 36 mod.

Anyways i have done a couple of new clips with the amp really turned up, all the controls were at 6 MV 4, yes very loud lol. Had the mic 1m from the cab, the clips have no post eq, just some verb & delay. Tubes are all vintage Mullard.

NT without orig,

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13319570

NT with orig,

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13319567

SCOM without orig,

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13319718

SCOM with orig,

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13319719

Cheers

Nigel